The Senior Accountant - Financial Reporting, Accounting Policy role reports to the Director of Financial Reporting and Accounting Policy and is an integral part of assisting in the preparation and distribution of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for internal purposes, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requirements, and other regulatory compliance responsibilities. This position will require the development of timely and accurate ad-hoc accounting, financial analysis and analytical procedures, including creating journal entries, preparing reconciliations and investigating and resolving reconciling items. This also includes the preparation of financial statements, footnotes and internal controls (SOX) documentation.
This position will also require varying degrees of technical accounting research, interpretation and application of U.S. GAAP along with an understanding of Regulation S-K and Regulation S-X under The Securities Act while supporting the documentation of certain accounting and reporting positions and policies.
This key position requires strong business acumen and professionalism to interact with internal and external customers. This position must exercise independence in managing ad-hoc projects while exercising good judgment in identifying and escalating questions or key issues to management for guidance. This position requires an ability to balance the demands of multiple deadlines and projects and to adjust priorities and workflow to meet changes or new business initiatives while still achieving recurring demanding deadlines. This position requires preparation of year-end audit work papers and significant involvement with internal and external auditors.
Major Accountabilities Include:
- Preparation of quarterly (Form 10-Q) and annual (Form 10-K) financial statements, footnotes and supporting materials
- Preparation of earnings release materials
- Various government related reporting requirements
- Assist in preparation of annual proxy statement
- XBRL tagging
- SOX documentation
- Research reporting requirements under U.S. GAAP as well Regulation S-K and Regulation S-X under The Securities Act
- Monthly and quarterly journal entries
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and reporting packages
- Preparation of financial statement analytics
- Ad-hoc internal reporting and analysis
- Research technical accounting issues and prepare technical accounting memoranda for wide range of topics
- Assist in performing transaction due diligence for potential business combinations along with purchase and integration accounting for potential acquired entities
- Assist with annual goodwill impairment analysis and other quarterly valuations
- SOX documentation
- Ad-hoc projects
- Process improvement initiatives
- Benefit plan audit
- Act as point of contact for internal and external auditors
- Ad-hoc projects
Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) required in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- Master’s degree preferred
- 3 or more years of applicable experience required
- Public accounting or industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge or U.S. GAAP and financial/SEC reporting
- Demonstrated knowledge of SOX requirements for public companies
- Experience working with internal and external auditors
- Department knowledge and experience of the month-end close cycle
- Previous experience with financial accounting, reporting and analysis type projects
- Previous experience in preparing and posting standard, non-standard and adjusting journal entries.
- Previous experience in preparing supporting schedules and account reconciliations on balance sheet and income statement line items.
- Previous demonstration of technical accounting research, interpretation and application
Role Specific Competencies:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills which includes good interpersonal skills in dealing with internal and external customers
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks and deadlines with little supervision
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and shift gears quickly and comfortably.
- Ability to use good judgment with a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to recognize, question, challenge and investigate new, unique, unusual or inconsistent transactions, results or account balances independently and prior to submitting work product for review
- Ability to grasp and understand the many different moving parts of Premier and how they fit together within the combined organization. Each enterprise unit has different product offerings and organizational infrastructure which contributes to a variety of customer needs and accounting challenges
- Excellent customer service and responsiveness skills
- Ability to take initiative on projects and deadlines and quickly interpret data from multiple sources
- Reasoning skills and ability to articulate logic behind decisions and identify insights (beyond basic reporting of events)
- Strong proficiency in MS Office applications, particularly Excel
- Working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and monthly financial close process
- Ability to be able to quickly learn and maneuver within the applicable ERP/accounting system