Our client is an established regional public accounting firm located in the Newport News, VA area that provides a full complement of business and personal accounting, audit, tax and bookkeeping services. We are in a major growth mode and are seeking a seasoned Tax Manager
capable of serving in a lead role for corporate, small business, estate, trust and personal tax support. This position is considered pivotal in maintaining the highest possible level of credible tax reporting services. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent people skills to facilitate routine client and staff interactions and the ability to manage returns with optimum realization and final deliverables. Promotion should be considered far more than an “opportunity,” but as an expectation.
Our client offers a collegial, enjoyable and productive work environment with competitive salary and generous benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision Disability Life and 401(k). Our organizational culture is defined by professionalism, mutual support and confidentiality. If these values are meaningful to you and you thrive in a team-based office environment, then this may be a great opportunity for you.
The successful candidate can expect to:
Anticipated qualifications are:
- Prepare and perform detail review of tax returns for corporations, pass throughs, partnerships, estates, trusts and individuals.
- Supervise staff preparers and provide guidance and feedback as well controlling production schedules.
- Perform tax planning for higher net worth clients and consulting on various tax related projects.
- A basic understanding of international tax is a plus.
- Actively serve as a coach and/or mentor to Associates and advance their ability to conduct tax research.
- Maintain a superior level of professional education and training, as well as public accounting memberships.
- Monitor all work in progress for both efficiency and effectiveness by assigned engagement staff.
- Contribute to learning initiatives with presentations and staff discussions intended to foster their growth.
- Assure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local tax laws, regulations and guidance.
- Pursue practice development including community leadership roles and informational presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and fully credentialed as a Certified Public Accountant
- Minimum of 6-8 years of tax experience in a public accounting or tax preparation environment
- Supervisory responsibility for tax staff and the quality of completed returns
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and familiar with QuickBooks (“Engagement” a plus)
- Excellent judgment and discretion; ability to balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines and handle work-related challenges is required
- Ability to efficiently transition between tax returns while generating accurate final products